Welcome To My Blog!!

Welcome To My Blog!!

Monday, November 14, 2011

Response to Tony Wagner

When I hear the term "obsolete", I think of having nothing. Nothing to provide for anyone or anything...no potential. Just nothing. Tony is trying to say that we have nothing to provide...or he just used "obsolete" for lack of a better word. But our education system provides our students much more than nothing, so I must respectfully disagree with Tony's quote. It is true that a lot of our schools are old, lack appropriate furnishings, are goverment ruled, poor, and contain some underqualified employees. That being said,  I can name many businesses, churches, hospitals, and other career paths that are faced with these same problems. The difference is that we hold in our hands the fate of our children; if they are not properly educated, they will not be competitive in our growing world. I think that many administrators, politians, and educators alike have realized this, though, and are working hard to change the curriculum, environment, and reputation of America's education. This is not obsolete. I, as well as every other College of Education student at Butler, am surrounded by educators who live to provide a good education and work very hard to show exceptional teaching. I do not think that education is obsolete...it will never be if we continue to have passionate adminitrators and teachers on our side. Do I think it needs improvement? YES. The government must start either electing people who know what they are talking about to make decisions, or they need to let the schools do what they know best (better than the politicians) and that is to educate youth. The teachers who are stuck in their ways and do not want to accept the change in education (which includes technology and new ideas in strategies and education) should leave. Schools need to hire educators who are willing to stay up to date with new teaching strategies, develop and understading for the competitive environment when chosing universityies and jobs, and strive to have their students achieve greatness. They must be open minded enough to see that a student can do whatever he or she is passionate about , as long as they put a lot of love and hard work into it. They must facilitate that passion and promote dedication. I know teachers who live like this. I know teachers who love their students like they do their own children. That is not obsolete. So I'm sorry, Tony, but you are wrong. Just like the economy, America's education is in a period of low. But it will gain momentum again and progressive education will succeed. I just know it.

Be Blessed,

Karly

No comments:

Post a Comment