Welcome To My Blog!!

Welcome To My Blog!!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Class: Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Class was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! We learned so much and walked away with many lessons to use in our own classrooms...with little cost to us! I tried the M&M lab, where we placed M&Ms in water and watched to see what happened. We noted that the different colors reacted to the water differently, and some of the Ms floated! One thing that I found very interesting was the reaction of the people in the class to the kitchen science; many of the (COLLEGE) students were just as excited as elementary students would be! I'm finding myself making inquiries, thinking critically, and wanting to continue to experiment with the materials and ideas that are presented to us. That is a magical thing! To have your students excited and thirsting for more learning experiences...it is what every teacher dreams of! I am also seeing that people in the class who maybe didn't love science before now, including myself, are the most excited students in the room. This shows me that no student, regardless of age, is incapable of changing their mindset on a subject. As well, no person is incapable of learning.

I also really appreciate Dr. Wright's ability to recognize her students' needs and fulfill them. In class, we began to discuss Bloom's Taxonomy, which many of us had only been slightly introduced to. She made note of this and provided us with the example she used in class. This is a great model of working to your students' needs. As well, she found that we were all enjoying kitchen science, as well as learning and inquiring from it, so she planned to continue the activity. These are the actions of a great teacher and I am so glad that I get to experience this teaching style and learn from her.

I look forward to learning more about the many techniques of teaching science. I have gained not only an interest in the subject, but a growing comfort in learning AND teaching it. I'm ready for more and I hope you all are too!

Be Blessed,

Karly

1 comment:

  1. See how fun science can be! Kitchen science is just too fun! There are so many ways to apply science through these lab stations!
    I appreciate you addressing me as Dr. Wright, however, I have not earned that title as of date. Hope to begin work soon. I am very proud to be called Professor.
    Thank you for your words of encouragement today! As a teacher, I LIVE for those kids of responses from my students!
    Prof. Wright

    ReplyDelete