Welcome To My Blog!!

Welcome To My Blog!!

Monday, September 5, 2011

Picture-Perfect Science!

The following are my thoughts on Chapters 1-3 (plus the Preface) of "Picture-Perfect Science". I would like to mention how much I loved the teacher that was talked about in the Preface. I hope to be somewhat like him someday in my enthusiasm and interest in Science.

"Science textbooks can be overwhelming for many children, especially those who have reading problems.They often contain unfamiliar vocabulary and tend to cover a broad range of topics." Although this isn't directly related to my education philosophy, I find it to be a very important idea that I, as a teacher, must keep in mind. I can also relate to this personally because I have always struggled to understand science concepts. This statement leads into the idea that we, as teachers, must be alert to what science topics are developmentally appropriate. As well, we should be able to modify them when they are not. I loved the book's idea about pairing fiction and non-fiction books to create a well-rounded science experience.

"Asking questions is not only a critical reading skill, but it is also at the heart of scientific inquiry and can lead students into meaningful investigations." This sentence is so rich with knowledge. First, I love the idea of using multiple subject areas and ideas together in one lesson. That way, students can learn a variety of things in a matter of minutes! (because we all know 180 days can seem really short in relation to what needs to be taught/learned). Also, the idea of inquiry is so interesting and important to me. When I visited Warren Early Child Center as a first year, I loved that the teachers focused lessons around their childrens' inquiries. This makes the lessons more meaningful to the student AND teacher. I look forward to learning how to do this!

And last, I LOVED the 5 E's of science learning!! I cannot wait to put these into use and learn more about how to use them to their fullest potential!! My questions for this are: How can I do all 5 effectively? Will I have moments where I think I've covered them...but I really haven't?

Thank you and be blessed,

Karly

No comments:

Post a Comment